Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sept. 15 - NYC Marathon Training - Ran 17 Miles

Ready to fire up the blog again after a couple of weeks away.  I ran 17 miles in rainy, blustery London (definitely not the Day Pond Loop!).  I'm here on business but had a free day today.  Incredibly, I literally ran into the World Ironman Championships that started at 1:30pm this afternoon in Hyde Park. As the pictures show, Chase was with me all the way.

I had to stop many times for mobs of people at the event, in Westminster and at the Tower of London, and also to stop and look at maps as I meandered around the city.  I felt much better than I expected, given minimal training over the last two weeks.  The first week of Sept. I was struggling with a bug of some sort.  I didn't have any cold symptoms but felt incredibly fatigued.  I had taken many runs on which I started off tired but snapped to after a mile or so, but during this period I struggled through a 5 mile run which felt like 25.  

I took a few days off and started to feel better last week.  I got a decent 7.4 mile run in last Th, but couldn't get out either Fri of Sat mainly due to prep for the London trip.  But today was a treat, even with the weather.  I will definitely need to get an uninterrupted 20 miler in when I get back to see if I'm anywhere near ready for the big race.  I think today's run tells me I can go deep into the marathon at least at a very easy pace, though I hope I won't be stopping and starting as much in New York!

Fish & Chips - English traditional fare but a tough pre-run meal!
Starting off at the hotel
Chase & me at Big Ben

Palace of Westminster
Funny, haven't run into the World Ironman Championships
on the Day Pond Loop!
Swimming venue
Ironmen in the bike phase
Chase & Me at the Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge at 14.5 mile mark

No comments:

Post a Comment