Saturday, November 2, 2013

Nov. 1 - Marathon Prep

I'm getting pretty fired up (and honestly a little nervous) about the big race on tomorrow, but at least the logistics are coming together.  I'm with Ellie and Shea at the Ritz-Carlton in Battery Park on this early Sat morning.  I spent yesterday organizing and packing everything I need for the marathon (including our toaster -- LOL--won't bore you with the details, but this basically represents a nutty runner wanting to replicate every detail of a past successful run).

Shea and I picked up Ellie at work in Glastonbury around 5pm and fought traffic to arrive at the hotel a little before 8pm.  We had dinner at Inatteso II, one block from the hotel.  Great pizza bar, but I had to stick with pasta.  I was a little envious of Shea, especially when she dove into the chocolate gelati.  The weather was perfect, and a had to fight the urge to do a little late night exploring--I've read a lot of stories about marathons gone bad due to too much city.  As I type this Sat morning I'm pretty happy that lights went out at 10pm.

Today we will be visiting the World Trade Center memorial and then be heading up to the marathon expo to get my official entry bib.  Then one more carbo load dinner and another early night.  I hope to see Steve and Becky and maybe run into Brian Mora who will also be running for Chase.  While I was tapering last week, Brian completed the Miami Ironman Triathlon--an incredible achievement on its own--and now he's back a week later for 26.2 more miles.  This is awesome dedication and also evidence of the incredible inspiration that Chase has provided to so many of us.

So far so good, will let you know shortly how things turns out (for the race, and maybe the toaster).  Should anyone be interested in tracking my whereabouts during the race, the NYRR marathon website has information at the following site:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/spectators/trackmyrunners.htm

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I recommend scrolling down to the mobile app info because it's free.  I downloaded the app on my phone and it seems pretty easy--you just have to enter my name or bib no. (10795) where prompted.  I start at 9:40 am tomorrow and plan to pace myself between 8:30-9 min/mi which will have me finishing in 3:43 to 3:55 (finishing time should be between 1:23-1:35 pm).  If I bonk feel free to have a late lunch and check back on me at your leisure!

No Running Line - took yesterday off - may go out for a mile or two after this post to calm the nerves...

Lady Liberty outside our window
Yes, pasta again (but it was delicious)
Vino and pizza - definitely on the agenda after the race!
My #1 supporter

2 comments:

  1. Good Stuff Brez. All the best - you'll do better then fine, you are a fierce competitor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin....somehow I messed up and missed the welcome page... I sponsored 8 miles of your run in NYC....in particular, miles 8, 23, and 26! I'll be routing for you every mile!!! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete