Friday, October 11, 2013

Oct. 11 - The Baton Has Been Passed - Way To Go Alexis!

Alexis Garrity, the 11-year-old girl who asked her Mom to take her from the 1,000 mile finale at Chalk Hill to Bethel High to retrieve the Race4Chase baton, has completed her race in Florida.  Congrats Alexis.  This was Alexis's first race, as she describes in the following comment she posted to the blog yesterday:

My name is Alexis Garrity. I found the baton at Bethel High School and completed my first 5k and have passed on the baton. I did the Disney Haunted 5k Trail run at Disneyworld in Florida. This was the first time I ever did a race and it was harder than I thought. The biggest challenge was that part of the race was on dirt and grass so I had to actually walk some of it. After the race we went back to our hotel and I went looking for someone to give the baton to. I could not find anyone that me or my mom thought we should give it to. So my mom suggested we take it back home to St. Augustine and give it to someone we knew. I gave it to a lady named Rachel Delaney. She was very happy to have it. Thank you for doing the baton I had alot of fun doing the race. I never would have done the race if it was not for the baton. Alexis Garrity

Being inspired by Chase to run her first race--this is what Race4Chase is all about!  The whole Race4Chase team is proud of you Alexis--you took charge and got the baton, ran your first race, and then passed it on to let Chase's spirit touch a family friend.  We couldn't ask for a better way to start the baton's journey.  Next time you are in Connecticut, maybe you can swing by Camp Tepee to see if there is another baton waiting for a kind soul like you???  :)

I squeezed in a 4 mile run late in the afternoon.  I have one more long run to go before I start to taper, and it may be overly ambitious, but today's plan is for Ellie to drop me off for work in Glastonbury and for me to run home starting about 2pm.  The course I've mapped out covers 21.5 miles.  I thought I might have an out as the weather (as of yesterday) forecast called for a lot of rain, but this morning I hear that the storm is bypassing CT and taking one of my excuses with it.  We'll see if I come up with another decent one in the next few hours!

Yesterday's Line:
Date DoW ToD Distance Time  Min/Mile Notes Effort Total Miles
10/10 Th 3:15p 4.0 31:09:00 7:47:15 0 0 1149.2

Alexis Garrity finishing her first 5K 

1 comment:

  1. My name is Rachel Delaney, and I am the person that Alexis and Sue Garrity chose to pass Chase's baton to. I started running about 2 years ago, but had kinda given it up since about June. This was just the motivation I needed to get back into things. Like Chase, my son Keegan, just spent his 8th Birthday in Heaven. Hopefully he is showing chase the ropes up there. :) I have chosen to run a 5k on Saturday 12/14/2013. I thought that there was no better day than the anniversary, to celebrate Chase's Spirit. It is called Santa Suits on the Loose and Sue and her sister are going to join me. It should be a fun time, filled with lots of crazy people running in actual Santa suits. I let you know how it goes. Thank you for the opportunity to share in this cause with such a special meaning

    ReplyDelete