Friday, October 25, 2013

Oct. 24 - Running Scared

Put two more runs in the book...4.1 on Tu and 6 on Th.  I took the Tu run very easy, trying to stay at my probable marathon pace, 8:30/mi.  I have felt pretty sluggish all week so I was happy to take my foot off the gas.  The pace was very comfortable and I was able to picture myself logging a lot of miles at that pace.  That was basically my goal for the run.

I took Wed off as part of my tapering, and with more nervous energy built up, I decided (against better judgment) to see what a barely comfortable pace was for my run on Th.  I didn't sleep well Wed night (again) so I was pretty tired going into the run, but things clicked at the start and I ripped off 6 miles at 7:14/mi.  I normally would be very happy with a run like this, but during a taper it concerns me a little.  I probably should dial the pace back quite a bit right now.  I think my lack of really hard training has me running a little scared and looking for runs that build confidence going into the marathon.  At some point it runs like these will actually impair performance on race day.  I should probably stay over 8 min/mi the rest of the way.

As for sponsors for the big race, let's give it up for Len Gutman!  Len has traveled from NYC to many Race4Chase events in CT, and sponsored a large chunk of my 1,000 miles.  He has now donated another 3 miles (he'll share miles 22-24) and also fulfilled his pledge to sponsor 32 miles after completing his walk around Manhattan (yes, he finished all 32 miles, in less than 10 hours).  And he continues to support me and Race4Chase as you can see from his recent email:

Hi Kevin,

I've completed the 32 ml walk around Manhattan on the 28th in 9 hrs 46 mins which was below my goal of 10 hrs. Thus I will be sponsoring another 32 miles as I stated before.
I likely will be not able to cheer you up in person at NY Marathon onNov 3 as I will in Milan but I will do a 3 mile run there on Nov 3 in solidarity with NY marathon and your effort.

All the best

LG


Thanks Len!

Recent Lines:
Date DoW ToD Distance Time  Min/Mile Notes Effort Total Miles

10/22 Tu 3:40p 4.1 34:27:00 8:27:52 0 0 1209.3
10/23 W 0 0.0 0:00:00 0:00:00 0 0 1209.3
10/24 Th 1:35p 6.0 43:24:00 7:14:00 0 0 1215.3



No comments:

Post a Comment