Friday, October 11, 2013

Oct. 11 - Uh Oh! Long Run Bonk at the Wrong Time!

I was fired up today for a 21.5 mile run from my office in Glastonbury to my house in Colchester.  I mapped out back roads that mostly paralleled Rt. 2, put in for a half day, got dropped off at work by Ellie and hoped for clear skies.  The first six miles were a breeze, but the next three were up some pretty challenging hills in So. Glastonbury.  Despite the hills, I kept it together until about the 16.5 mile mark in Colchester when I hit another doozy.  From there it was survival mode, and unfortunately I was totally spent at 18.6 miles and decided to cut my losses there.  Not the inspiring final long run I was looking for before the big race.  Still, I am encouraged by a few things.  First, I had a very strong 21 mile run two Sundays ago; I am still bouncing back from a cold that knocked me out for three days last week; and most importantly, I'll be running for Chase on the big day.

It's been a tough evening but I am finally booting back up after the tough run.  Though I'll be tapering over the next few weeks hopefully I'll have a few strong runs to get the mental piece where it belongs.

Also inspiring is the response to my request on Facebook for $10 sponsors for each marathon mile.  The following people have stepped up right away:

Linda Krosky Molfetta - $20 - Miles 1 & 2
Betty Dillon - $10 - Mile 3
Juli Giampaolo Soracin - $20 - Miles 25 & 26 (because she wants to own the painful miles--nice!)
Amy Primorac - $50 - Miles 4-8
Terry Quinn - $100 - Miles 9-18
Vicki Pernek - $30 - Mies 19-21

What a response!  Only miles 22-24 are left--we may have to double up!

Today's Line:
Date DoW ToD Distance Time  Min/Mile Notes Effort Total Miles
10/11 F 2:15p 18.7 2:49:34 9:05:14 0 0 1167.8

No comments:

Post a Comment