Monday, July 29, 2013

July 28 - 18 Miles Ran

Survived!  That's all I can say about my run Sun morning.  Presumably I went into the run "marathon ready", having put in long runs of 12 to 20 miles, including two 20 milers, over the last two months.  I had been training for a marathon in early Sept, but had to change plans because of my work schedule.  Just recently, Becky Kowalski informed me that she may be able to get me a spot in the New York City Marathon on Nov 3.  This presented me with a dilemma--do I keep in marathon shape for the next 3 months or lower my mileage for a while and power back up in Sept and Oct?

I decided at least for this week to keep the long run at a marathon-training distance of 18 miles.  I went out at an 8:30-9 min/mile pace and picked it up from mile 4 to 14 to about 8:20.  As in earlier long runs,  I reached the Levita Rd. hill (14 mile mark) in decent shape, but again the hill did me in.  I ran the last two miles in 10 and 11 min/mile, really struggling even to finish the last mile.  Going another 8 miles to finish a marathon, at least yesterday, seemed an impossibility.

However, these type of runs happen from time to time and you just have to forget about them and move on (closer mentality).  It even helps to run completely depleted in long term.  (At least that's what I keep telling myself!)

I completed miles 853-870 (unsponsored--next sponsored mile is Len Gutman's 893--I'll get there Len, promise!)

Today's Line:
DateDoWToDDistanceTime Min/MileNotesEffortTotal Miles

7/28 Su 9:00a 18.0 2:38:54 8:49:40 80f 7 870.5

No comments:

Post a Comment