Monday, August 19, 2013

Aug. 19 - Rest Day (from Running), 39 Miles Sponsored

Today for the first official day of "Daddy Camp".  I try to take time off each year before Shea goes back to school so we can spend some QT together before the grind resumes.  I find this time ever-more precious as we near the teenage blackout years so many have warned me about.  After I finished some chores, we headed out to the town playground for some soccer, rollerblading and basketball.  Soccer went fine, though at one point I was channelling the Great Santini as I tried to shift into a higher gear to get the ball before her, but gained no ground.  I'm proving that no matter how many miles you run Father Time always has the last laugh.

Shea then wanted to go rollerblading, which is not a Dad activity, especially with me promising everyone I know that I'll be finishing the 1,000 miles in two weeks.  So I brought Shea down to unoccupied tennis courts to "blade" while I shot baskets at the nearby b-ball court.  I was quickly reminded that I had not used the hoop muscles in some time.  Once, with the echoes of adoring Masuk fans' cheers (well at least my Mom and Dad's) ringing in my ears, I ran to keep a ball in bounds and jumped for a shot, only to have to pick up the various tendons, ligaments and synovial membrane that scattered over the court surface during the sequence.  I will have to lace up the running shoes extra tight to keep the body parts somewhat aligned during tomorrow's run.

Enough with the aging woes and on to the happy news--it has been a great couple of days for the sponsors.  My good friend Scott Szymanski sponsored 13 miles yesterday.  We were hanging out at his beach house in Westbrook when he agreed to pick up miles 944-956.  Scott and I are big Mets fans (obvious gluttons for punishment) and we were brainstorming for Met connections to these numbers.  It's still a work in progress but we found out the Mets have had 961 players in their history play at least 1 game for the team.  We and the Elias Sports Bureau are now trying to determine the 944th through 956th players in Met history (by order of appearance).  I should have time to figure this out on one my upcoming long runs!

Tom Zingo and his family members Renee and Jim sponsored 26 miles recently.  Tom is a high school classmate of mine and I remember him as a good runner (I think on both the cross country and track teams).  In his comment to the blog Tom mention that he, Renee and Jim rollerbladed, ran and hiked a bunch of miles a few weeks back.  I love the rollerblading connection and it's great to hear that Tom is still engaged in these healthy activities--the kind of activities that Chase loved.  Steve and Becky hope Chase's spirit can motivate many others to enjoy them as well.  Thanks Scott and Tom, your support is much appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment