Sunday, June 2, 2013

June 1 - Day Off; June 2 - Race 4 Chase in Monroe!

I took Saturday off after the 16 miler on Friday and to get a little rest before the Sprint for Monroe 5K on Sunday.  Prerace prep went a little awry, however, as I ended up chowing down on lobsters with my Dad, sister and brother in law at 10pm Sat night.  Lobster, butter and beer went down well on Sat but weren't the best fuel on Sunday.

The race on Sunday was fantastic.  The kids run was hilarious; when they heard the word "go" in the pre-race instructions, well, they went!  Mass confusion was quickly replaced with gritty determination to catch up to the early starters.

I got to see many friendly faces as the Race4Chase team turned out in force.  Even my late-rising Dad made it out for the kids run at 8:30am.  Steve and Becky Kowalski were there to welcome the team; my nephew Kevin (5) ran the kids race; my sister Beth ran the 5K, as did Keith Sullivan and his family, Steve's brother Bob, Lindsay Knauf (26in2013forsandyhook.blogspot.com) and many others.  Michelle Aube's mom introduced herself and said she was going to get people to sponsor miles--nice!  Kevin Grimes and Bob Orzo were there as always to organize things.  Great job by the whole crew.

I ran a half mile to warm up and then the 3.1 mile 5K.  I didn't feel my best (lobster fatigue?) but ended up finishing in 20:54, only 1:37 behind 9-year-old Azaan Dawson--incredible run Azaan!  Check out all the results at:

http://thelastmileracing.com/results/results2013/13monroe.html

I completed miles 604-607 (unsponsored).

Today's Line:
Date DoW ToD Distance Time  Min/Mile Notes Effort Total Miles
6/2 Su 8:45a 0.5 0:00:00 0:00:00 70f 5 604.0
6/2 Su 9:00a 3.1 20:54:00 6:44:31 80f 9 607.1

Race4Chase Run Start 
Nephew Kevin in the zone before the start
Off they go!
Kevin motors along with his Dad
I think this is Azaan--definitely a future star runner
Butterfly pays Becky a visit after the race

2 comments:

  1. Great to meet you yesterday, Kevin. I'm glad everyone seemed to have a great day. But I realize now I am going to have to stalk Lindsay because this is the third race we've both been at and haven't connected. :)

    Thank you to all of the Race 4 Chase Team for being such a wonderful part of the Sprint For Monroe/Race4Chase Kids' Fun Run yesterday. It was just a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to meet you too Amy! Lindsay was asking about you after the race, and really wanted to say thanks for a great race. It was a special day--it's so great to see Monroe come together for the race and for the Race4Chase team to be such a big part of it. l feel blessed to have grown up in Monroe and see how the community has stayed connected over the years.

    Congrats on a great race--now take a few minutes to breathe and celebrate your efforts! Hope to see you next year if not sooner.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete